Podcast: Exploring the Balancing Mechanism with Claire Dykta NG ESO
The Balancing Mechanism is the Electricity System Operator’s (or ‘ESO’) main tool to make sure that supply meets demand every second of the day.
Whether you are new to the Balancing Mechanism or are looking to find out more about how the ESO navigates this complex service - this episode provides a comprehensive look at the workings of the BM. Over the course of the conversation, guest host Ed Porter talks to ESO’s Head of Markets - Claire Dykta, discuss:
- Where the Balancing Mechanism sits in the suite of available markets and how ESO manages the deployment of balancing mechanism units (BMUs).
- Insight into how the coming Open Balancing Platform (OBP) will make the scheduling and dispatch of assets more streamlined.
- How the fifteen-minute rule could change under coming updates.
- How ESO are ensuring route to market is fair in order to maintain confidence in the UK market for investors.
- Skip rates and what ESO is doing to clearly define them and reduce them where possible.
Listen on Spotify
Listen on Apple Podcasts
About our guest
ESO is the the Electricity System Operator for Great Britain, making sure that Great Britain has the essential energy it needs by ensuring supply meets demand every second of every day. They are responsible for moving high voltage electricity from where it’s generated, through the energy system. For more information about what ESO do, head to their website.
About Modo Energy
Modo Energy provides benchmarking, forecasts, data, and insights for new energy assets - all in one place.
Built for analysts, Modo helps the owners, operators, builders, and financers of battery energy storage solutions understand the market - and make the most out of their assets. Modo’s paid plans serve more than 80% of battery storage owners and operators in Great Britain.
To keep up with all of our latest updates, research, analysis, videos, podcasts, data visualizations, live events, and more, follow us on Linkedin or Twitter. If you want to peek behind the curtain for a glimpse of our day-to-day life in the Modo office(s), check us out on Instagram.